Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Heart of Jeremiah

Jeremiah 4

The Lord gave the command to Judah to break up their fallow ground, to circumcise their hearts to the Lord, and to return to the Lord.  Yet they didn’t listen, and so the Lord sent judgment.

:: V.10 Jeremiah questioned the Lord about the deceitfulness of promising peace, and then sending the sword against His people.  While the Lord has given us promises in His Word, I still have a free will.  If I choose to go my own way, the promises do not apply and the Lord is “forced” by my actions to send chastisement in order to bring me back in line.

:: V.19 Jeremiah was deeply affected by the news of what would happen to His countrymen.  He couldn’t hold his peace because he saw the war and heard the warning, and he wanted everyone to hear it.  I know the judgment that is coming on the wicked.  Am I sounding the warning and sharing the way of salvation?

:: V. 22 – how sad, and may it not be said of me: “My people…have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.”

No comments: