Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lessons from the Sun

I use cloth diapers, and I like to hang them out on the clothesline to dry.  The sun’s rays are a natural way to kill bacteria, and bleach out any stains that there may be.  Recently, I was hanging the diapers out on the line and Elaine (2 years old) was “helping” me.  To answer her questions, I tried to make things as simple as possible.

“We put the diapers outside so the sun can make them all clean and white.”  That answer was good enough for Elaine!  As she repeated the words I had just said (she always repeats what we say), I was reminded of a simple but profound truth.  Something I already knew before.  Something I need to practice on a daily basis.

Just as the sun bleaches my diapers, killing the bad bacteria, and leaving them sparkling white, so the Son of God washes my heart.  He forgives and removes the sin, making me white as snow.

1 John 1:7-9  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.  8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psalm 51:7  Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

I must come to the Son and let Him cleanse me and wash me from my sin.  I must do it every time I sin.  If I am to be a vessel fit for the Master’s use, I must be clean and sin-free.

2 Timothy 2:20-21  But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.  21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

No comments: