Monday, July 30, 2012

If We Believe Not

“If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.”
2 Timothy 2:13

I am reading through the epistles, and right now I am in 2 Timothy.  Verse 13 stood out to me in my devotions this morning.  Paul lists several if-then statements in this passage:

:: If we be dead with him, we shall also live with him
:: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him
:: If we deny him, he also will deny us
:: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful

Last week was a rough one for me.  I was not in God’s Word like I needed to be.  And I was struggling with several circumstances.  I felt like giving up.  I felt like not believing God.  I felt like His Words were not coming true.  {I know…we cannot live based on our feelings.  And we feel this way, we need to speak the truth of God’s Word into our minds and hearts, and let the feelings follow}.

But verse 13 tells me that even if I choose not to believe God’s Word, then He is still faithful. 

His Words and their truth don’t change with my believing or unbelieving. 

He will remain true…faithful…unchanging no matter what. 

Even when I don’t believe it, God is working in my life. 

Even when I cannot see His hand, it is there. 

Even when I cannot see His purpose, He is bringing it to pass.

No comments: