Wednesday, August 15, 2012

In the House of the Righteous is Much Treasure

I’ve been trying to read a Proverb a day this month.  Since today is the 15th I read Proverbs 15.  Many of the verses seemed to fall into three categories: The tongue; rich vs. poor; and foolish vs. wise.  But the verses on rich vs. poor stood out to me.  Maybe because we have had some recent physical/financial needs for which God has abundantly provided.  Maybe because we are still trusting Him to provide several things.

    • Proverbs 15:6 In the house of the righteous is much treasure: but in the revenues of the wicked is trouble.
    • Proverbs 15:16  Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
    • Proverbs 15:17  Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
    • Proverbs 15:27  He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.

These verses clearly point out that it doesn’t matter what or how much you own, but the quality of your family life is what is important.  God will provide what we need physically when we are living in His will.  And God will do things better…abundantly…beyond our imagination.

Sometimes we have a skewed view of what it really takes to be rich.  My bank account would tell you differently, but I know that I am blessed beyond measure.  I am rich…just not with money.

A word of personal testimony…I never had the money sitting in the bank to pay for my college tuition.  I never took out a loan.  My parents helped a little when they could.  But I graduated debt free in four years.  God took care of the college bill because I was following His lead to be there in the first place.  {He may not choose to do it the same way for everyone, but certainly He will provide for us to follow His will}.

Though my kitchen cupboards are overflowing from God’s last provision, I received “gifts” from three more people this week.  One lady called us to pick up some food at the church.  There was an abundance of meat in the bags {something we have been cutting back on since finances were tight}.  A free haircut and several bags of toiletries.  Bags of groceries that were treats for my kids – juice boxes, cookies, and snacks.  Clothes for my children for the winter.

I don’t say this to boast, but to encourage.  We live in a very expensive city, in the middle of the worst economy since the Great Depression, and my husband makes a small wage with no benefits. 

So to the student who wants to attend Bible college, but doesn’t have the money…go.  Work hard. Let the Lord do amazing things for you.

To the mom who wants to stay home with her children, but doesn’t think they can survive on one income…do it.  If God wants you with your kids, He will provide what you need {and maybe you can cut out some of the “extras” in order to help make it possible}.

To the missionary on deputation with the looming task of raising enough support to get to the field…God will bring in your support.  If He has called you to that field, He will make the way for you to go there.

Don’t give up on doing God’s Will for your life because of the finances.  Don’t let the world tell you what you have to have to be a success.  Step out in faith, eat a dinner of herbs if you have to, and watch God do amazing things to provide for your needs.

No comments: