Thursday, January 17, 2013

What I Am

In my devotional book I read this excerpt from Having A Mary Spirit by Joanna Weaver:

If Satan can’t make me fall away from God’s grace, he will do everything he can to keep me from fully embracing God’s grace. Satan wants me—and he wants you!—to be so constantly preoccupied with what we’re not that we never get around to realizing all that God is.  Our enemy wants to keep us so consumed with our inadequacies that we never get around to appropriating the love and transforming power God has made available to us through His Son. {emphasis mine}

I had one of those days yesterday.  When I seemed to be able to only see the problems, the negatives.  Satan had me so focused on what was wrong that I failed to remember my escape, my Advocate, and the grace He has promised.

So what it is that we are in Christ?  Here is a short list:

  • Justified – not condemned.  God doesn’t look at me and see the sinner anymore.  He looks at me and sees His Son Jesus Christ.
    Romans 8:1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
  • Armed – not defenseless.  I can put on the armor of Christ and defend myself—and defeat the enemy. 
    Ephesians 6:11  Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
  • Seated with Christ. Victorious.
    Ephesians 2:6  And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
    Romans 8:37  Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
  • Able to Enter the Throne Room.  I don’t have to give in to Satan’s temptations or doubts.  I can march into the throne room of heaven and gain the ear of God, finding grace to help in my moment of need.
    Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. 
  • Adopted – a son/child of God Himself.  A part of the family of God…with all of the rights and benefits that go with it.
    Romans 8:15  For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
    John 1:12   But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
  • Loved.  Accepted. Without condition. Forever.
    1 John 4:19  We love him, because he first loved us.
    Jeremiah 31:3  The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
    Romans 8:38 - 9:1  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,  39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful :) Kenny and i have been using that book in our evening devos together, it has been a real blessing :)